Tuesday, January 04, 2005

What if I Just Left This Blank?

So I'm in Food Lion, and I'm checking out, and I ask the woman who's ringing me up how she's doing. She says, "I'm blessed." See now, is it weird that this bothers me? There is another person in my life who always does that. It never fails. I say, "How are you?" She says, "I'm blessed." I say, "How was your weekend?" She says, "It was blessed." I say, "How was your break?" She says, "A blessed one." I wonder if she thinks that I'm not grateful for the good things in my life just because I say, "I'm fine" when she asks me, instead of "I'm blessed." Is she flaunting some type of moral superiority? I don't know what it is about this thing, but it gives me the feeling that I'm being condescended to.

I coach middle school basketball. Assistant coach, actually. Today my girls missed 20/28 free-throws. So they did 20 line drills. 1 line drill means running from one side of the basketball court to the other, from side-line to side-line. So, I line them up and I say, "I'm going to run these with you. If I beat you back down to this line, YOU ARE NOT GOING FAST ENOUGH. Do NOT wuss out. Do NOT slack off. I have 10 years on you. Let's see it." And to make matters worse, I sprint the entire time. I race them. They get all worked up. Maybe I'm mean. Maybe they should make their free-throw shots.

One of my students told me today that she and her sister, get this, invented the word "crap." Incidentally, the dance being done in the latest Snoop Dogg video...also her creation.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAA Ha Ha! That girl is blessed.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home