Monday, January 10, 2005

Make the Best of These Tasks And Don't Ask Why

It's been a long time, and I miss my blog.

Today was...well...today was today. My kids got the new stem "gymn" today. It means "naked," so it's now naturally their very favorite stem. The two words that they got with it were "gymnastics" and "gymnasium." So, I begin explaining:

Me in My Teacher Voice: "In Ancient Greece, all forms of athletics were called 'gymnastics.' They did these things naked. It's just what they did. Yes they wrestled. Yes they ran with javelins. I don't think they played ice hockey. Anyway, they practiced in an arena that they called the 'gymnasium.' "

What happened next shouldn't have come as a surprise to me, being as how I do currently spend most of my life with 13-year-olds. Nevertheless, I was taken a bit back when my kid looks up and says, "So, you mean that we should go to gym and be naked?"

Oh God.

"No, please, whatever you do, do not go tell anyone that I said you should be naked in gym."

Jeez.

Friday night I couldn't stop saying "Dude." I literally couldn't. I'm with these children way too much. What's happening to my life? I sometimes wonder.

Sunday I ran 2.9 miles and couldn't decide if I was proud that I had upped that from about 2.7, or annoyed that I got so close to an even 3 and stopped just short. That was very uncharacteristic, since I like things to be even. Seriously. I only pump gas in multiples of 25 cents. If I go to 18.01, I'm going to 18.25, and if it goes to 18.26, I'm going to 18.50. You see, it just works better that way for me.

I might be OCD. Sometimes I think so.

Our girls beat Lexington tonight in basketball. First time in three years. I was so proud of them. And then I wonder, how much praise is too much? Am I running the risk of creating little ego-maniacs? It's delicate. Oh so very delicate.

Last night I slept with "Crest Whitening Strips" in my mouth. I swallowed the bottom one during the night. All day I kept waiting to become violently ill.

My greatgrandmother is not doing well. She's 103. I don't quite know how to feel about this.

Meredith left me a message during my game. She wanted to know how my day was, and she wanted to wish me luck. She said "Go Foxes" at the end of her message. It was such a small thing, and then it wasn't. She's my favorite person sometimes.

Yesterday, in Wal-Mart, I saw two girls buying groceries who were obviously roommates at Carolina. Part of it made me sad. Part of it made me thankful for that part of my life being behind me. I don't know which part won.

Where are we again?



1 Comments:

Blogger greyguitar said...

I don't know if should feel happy or sad now.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home