Monday, January 17, 2005

A Portmanteau for a Kawaskum

"If there were two bowling alleys, exactly alike, except that one of them had wall-to-wall whores, I'd patronize the one with the whores." - Kenny from Ed.

Reruns of Ed on TBS at 12.00 pm, apparently daily. Going back to work tomorrow just got even harder. There have been very few shows in the history of television with this caliber of writing. You can quote me on that, if you ever find yourself in a situation where it would be useful.

Desperate Housewives won some awards last night. Those are well deserved.

Clive Owen and Natalie Portman won for Closer. I guess if the prize goes to the ones who can say the f-word the most times in 2 minutes, both of those were well deserved as well.

This morning I ran 2.8 miles. Again, I wonder why I get so close to an even 3 and quit? I've been doing some thinking, and I'll bet it has to do with the sheer level of boredom that I have reached by that point. The treadmill is no good for me. The monotony saps the life right out of me. I need to run outside. Basketball season needs to end so I can have a life after school again. Back in the day...you know...way back in the August/September area, I used to run at Riverfront after school. I do love my girls, don't get me wrong, but I am not going to be crying at the end of the season. Nope, I'll be too busy picking out new running shoes and hitting the road. I hope it's warmer by then.

Last night I finally started reading East of Eden. My aunt gave me this really nice vintage-looking edition for Christmas...in 2003. I've been hauling the book around for a solid year. It is 600 pages long. That kind of reading requires a commitment, and I wasn't ready until now. I'm sick of reading the books my kids read. And I'm sick of reading the short stories out of their literature book. I needed a real, adult, grown up book that regular people read. So, here I go.

Meredith's going to name her little girl Lillian. She is not pregnant, nor is she thinking of becoming pregnant at any point in the next three to five years, at a minimum. However, we talk about Lillian, and what she will wear and what will go in her nursery. And I already love her so much. That's crazy isn't it? Wouldn't be the first time.

Last night I dreamed that I went to New York. And I was just walking around, and there was this store that sold keychains. There was a really cool electric guitar keychain, and I was thinking I should pick it up for one of my students. He is nuts about guitars. They put keychains on their bookbags. He would like it. Then, I was thinking, I can't buy just one keychain. I'd have to buy 65, for all of my students. So I was disappointed. But then, he showed up and bought it for himself. Turns out, he was in New York with his family. Man, every time we get a holiday, I dream about the kids. They just show up in my subconscious at night. I'm telling you, they haunt me, even if I travel.

I watched The Practice this morning. It made me think I'd be a good lawyer, just like Chicago Hope had me convinced, when I was 13, that I'd be a neurosurgeon. Then I went to sophomore biology and destroyed the pig brain trying to extract it. The dream died. Now, catching old episodes of Ellen makes me want to own a bookstore. You'd think I had grown out of this by now, but apparently not. This is why I'm so sad that Boston Public does not come on at 7.00 anymore, like it used to. I could watch it and go, "Whoa, maybe I should be a teacher...wait, I AM one." I should write a letter to the WE network and explain the situation. I'll tell them that I need a television show to validate my current career.

Note: When I spellchecked this, it pulled "Portman" and suggested that I replace it with "portmanteu." Then, it pulled "keychain" and suggested "Kawaskum."

Haha. I love that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what IS a kawaskum? Sounds somewhat nazi related.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home