Thursday, March 03, 2005

Aloha Shouldn't Have Gone

Blogging at work again, this time while my kids sit in front of me. Here is the situation: we are supposed to be in the lab doing MAP testing, but, as so often happens, the computers are "not ready." So, here we are, back in the room, and me with no plans of any kind because I planned to be testing today. I gave my kids some choices for what they could do with this time, and miraculously, they are all working oh so very quietly.

To understand the magnitude of this situation, you need to know something about my 4th block. They are, unequivocally, my worst class. Each time I am out, I have complete confidence that the substitute will leave an excellent report for my other two classes, while 4th will get an "unacceptable," or "pretty rowdy," or something of the like.

They aren't bad kids. No, that isn't it at all. They have, let's say, misdirected energy.

But man, do I love them right now. They are so cute, working away like real little students. Some of them are looking at me b/c I'm smiling. They don't see this a lot. I could get all philosophical now if I wanted to, about how I love them even though they can't seem to behave when I'm not here, and most of them time when I am here.

This situation feels very precarious, and I keep waiting for one of them to do something silly and break the peace. It is so very fragile.

Tricky. Very tricky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home